Thread: Are Mineral Waters Really Safe?

Default Are Mineral Waters Really Safe?

Mineral waters are very popular today due to their presumed purity. However, Swiss scientists recently discovered that certain brands of mineral water were contaminated with a fecal virus.

According to a MSNBC report on April 8, 2002, 11 out of 29 European brands of mineral water were found to be contaminated with Norwalk-like virus (NLV), which is responsible for in more than 90% of the world’s stomach upsets. A Swiss scientist who worked on this study stated, “We didn'$t believe the results at first, so we got them independently confirmed by a private Swiss lab. We think human feces are sporadically contaminating the water either at the source or some time during the bottling procedure.”

The scientists do not know whether or not the water poses a health risk. Evidence from unpublished data suggests that low levels of the virus in mineral water may lead to gastroenteritis in the elderly.

Barry Vipond of the Public Health Laboratory in Bristol, UK expressed his concern, “Current views are that you only need a very low level - in the range they found - of active virus for it to be infectious.” However, he pointed out that the test used to determine the contamination, the RT-PCR, is itself prone to contamination. Mineral water companies view the test as unsuitable to detect low levels of viral contamination.

Nine out of ten bottles of contaminated mineral water were found to contain the virus one year later. Tamie Ando, who studies viral gastroenteritis at the National Center for Infectious Diseases in Atlanta remarked, “Although we don't know whether the strains found in the mineral water are dangerous, the work is very important because we need to learn how our environment has been contaminated by these viruses.”

Despite scientific advances, the insatiable desire for material wealth is exploding, and the environment continues to deteriorate. Clean air, water and soil constitute the environment given to us by the Universe. Every newborn baby knows how to breathe. When we are thirsty, we just drink some water. Fertile soil can be used to grow vegetables. However, these natural things are becoming scarcer in today’s world. Human beings are in a very dangerous situation when the basic life-sustaining essentials such as air, water and soil are becoming polluted. We have seen people using oxygen masks during especially bad periods of smog or during sandstorms. Residents of some large cities have start relying on spring waters due to water pollution, but contaminated viruses from human feces may be found in them. Shouldn’t we wake up?

Mineral water not necessarily a safe drink source to humankind because lots of chemical reactions once the container material compound made up plastics. Vulnerable to heat factor because every plastic is a petroleum base byproduct. This is the physical factor of it and not yet the water source content like what you mentioned in your thread such as virus.

I believe if it is a distilled water process and bottle up by using Anti-Violet-Ray(AVR) glass container will be higher in health safe scale. But, of course it can't be easily commercialized to common group of general public as end user due to high selling price just because of the cost of AVR glass container.

Another alternative is like I am using now, anti-bacteria water purifier though not yet anti-virus type of water purifier.

MY CONCLUSION AS MY PERSONAL OPINION

Anti-bacteria water purifier is the current solution to enjoy healthy water for drinking and cooking purpose, at least.
    Last edited by michaeldadona; 30-05-09 at 08:52 PM. Reason: can't be easily
    FOR VISITOR$ TO JOIN THIS FORUM CLICK HERE
    Prosperity sharing with our lovely Digital Bhoomi (DB)
    Follow DB-Twitter Follow DB-YouTube Follow DB-Facebook

i really doubt about the mineral water their quality. Who is monitoring them. In india, bacteria are found in soft drink bottles.

I never knew no danger of water. The only water a day. And is sterile. When I was done with water, mineral water market, bottled water is not a problem today, but over the bottled water, there are some problems that need attention. Use bottled water for too long, the algae reproduce and some algae can also produce toxins.
    Last edited by veronicaZora; 07-02-12 at 04:55 PM.

Enthusiast

Bottled water remove many minerals from them to make the water have a longer shelf-life. Drinking these bottled water for very long can definitely cause troubles , as our body needs these minerals and salts from the water.
    Using water purified from a good water purifier is a good Idea instead of using bottled water.
    Last edited by shinystar; 19-09-16 at 03:44 PM.

Enthusiast

You must be careful because there are certain combinations of minerals that will cause more of a problem than the water that has no minerals in it. I remember that there was a situation near my city where an unqualified health consultant created a bottled water product. A buyer into his business was a health conscious military worker who took the initiative to see what was actually in the bottled water because the unqualified health consultant had refused to put an ingredients section on the bottle. When the research came back the water was unbalanced. The ingredients that were supposed to alkalize the person drinking it but it was not applied well in the water and caused kidney stones in the consumers.