Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original or Duplicate ?

Question Original or Duplicate ?

Few days back I had asked one of my neighbours for a dvd . When I got it , and put on my dvd player , I found that it was a pirated one . It was not unusual to get a pirated dvd . In fact all of his collections consisted of pirated ones only . So it just dawned on me that how much we all are accustomed to buying a pirated cds/dvds , mainly because its very cheap compared to the original ones . Moreover you can get it easily and dont have to wait for official release . But again , because of these reasons , so much money has been filled into the pockets of those who are involved into this , encouraging them to continue this business . Not only cds/dvds , even other electronic equipments - say dvd players , mp3 players , etc . I am not talking about local companies who produce , but those who sell fake ones . In fact in Chennai, there is one whole bazaar for this and its always busy with business . Whats your opinion regarding this ?

yes its a sad affair, because lot money spend in making films, and when we buy those pirated cds and dvds which deworth that money. Almost all towns have such market where you can buy cheap electronic assembled products and china made products. Many a times , this seems quite ok, because with ever changing trends in electronic markets, one can't afford buying expensive ones and again changing that for buying another new product, so it is practical to buy an assembled product, enjoy it for a period and then go for another new product. Regarding movie cds, people can't wait for the official release and also they don't want to waste a lot bucks in multiplexes, so once seen , its forgotten.

Now end user must understand the flow of their business money, they don't pay tax to the government revenue account which means their business is only a one way ticket with no value in social community building, in general.

Secondly, the more we buy from them actually we are encouraging 'parasite' type of business which at the end will destroy the real entire industry. We can imagine and let say we are the true producer to one film, how many related parties/industries rely on us; artists, transports, equipments, tourism, etc. Means if we keep on buying pirate products, we are happy to look future jobless community.

Finally, one more example - if all students go to school with 'photocopies/photostat' text book, I believe there will be many school text book printing companies vanish on earth. Next, there will be no more academic author in one country.

Think about it? After reading the above paragraphs, do you still want to buy pirate products? Pirate business kills one nation future economy. So sorry, I won't......forever and ever.
    FOR VISITOR$ TO JOIN THIS FORUM CLICK HERE
    Prosperity sharing with our lovely Digital Bhoomi (DB)
    Follow DB-Twitter Follow DB-YouTube Follow DB-Facebook

ya, i agree we should so not encourage piracy, especially in case of Cd's, and electronics..
    but, in case of books, i wont agree much, as some foreign author study books are really costly for students especially.. so we have to get them xeroxed..
    sometimes i think, we have to see our pockets too or else we would be deprived of those costly stuff..
    that definitely doesn't mean encouraging piracy still..

Lightbulb Thinking from a common mans perspective

they don't pay tax to the government revenue account which means their business is only a one way ticket with no value in social community building, in general.
    Well Michael , people have been paying tax for more than 60 years and nothing much improvement has been there . Public are losing trust on government / politicians . If in these years the huge tax amount has not helped much in community , how a small amount ( on an individuals perspective ) will affect the country ?

if all students go to school with 'photocopies/photostat' text book, I believe there will be many school text book printing companies vanish on earth.
    Michael , photocopies are done from original content , so how do you think the printing companies will vanish ? Because if there are no companies printing original content , there will no photocopies too , right ? I think you want to say that there will be no value for originality .

ya, i agree we should so not encourage piracy, especially in case of Cd's, and electronics..
    Yeah Richa , most people , many dont like to buy pirated things but they still , because of money . The money spent on watching one movie , you can see about 4-5 movies if you choose to see in an pirated cd/dvd . And with movies releasing every week , its not possible for everyone to watch all movies in an theatre . And in case of electronics , sometimes you get many products at half the original price , again it saves money for a layman .

we have to see our pockets too or else we would be deprived of those costly stuff..
    that definitely doesn't mean encouraging piracy still..
    Exactly . With prices soaring on almost everything , and with just one life time , many prefer to give preference to piracy , though they dont like to, but they dont want to burn their pockets too as many times originals are quite costly and sometimes out of reach in their means .
    Last edited by dreamygal; 01-09-09 at 03:10 PM.

Tax is a major revenue to one country. If all citizens have thought like what you said, means next year India has to borrow IMF money to survive. We cannot produce personal excuse to get rid of tax, unless, we have helped many poor people from our pocket money as a proof of statement.

Regarding your question about 'small amount', you can imagine the value of one cent collected from 1 billion people of India will make how much? Already 10million. From this 10million how many 1098 & Old Age Home able to survive in a year? I got many compliments from netizens about myebook for '1098 & Old Age Home' which will be getting 500 viewers in less than a month. From here, I value the 'one cent' tax is very important to the needy groups.....very important!!!

About original text book copies, look at it in the long run. How many printing companies involved in text book printing by getting central contract from the government? How many? How many employees in this world of printing media industries? You can take out your little calculator and calculate for 1million copies done in India; multiply it with the real selling price in open market for one original text book?

If you keep on giving reasons of excuses, like your comment to richa's reply by making comparison! so when....when piracy is going to end? When?

Frankly speaking, D; I never buy piracy product although many times attended by the reseller during enjoying my eating at alfresco outlet. I better look for cheap sales but still authorize for money back guarantee. A quality product never expensive because of its quality value, but the 'piracy' product actually the most expensive because of the 'gambling' value lies within purchasing - if still good, it can be used but once found faulty better just throw it.

For those who bought pirate product, do not complain because it's not the seller or producer fault. It is your fault. You're the one who choose fake product complete with your own reasonable excuses.....!!!
    FOR VISITOR$ TO JOIN THIS FORUM CLICK HERE
    Prosperity sharing with our lovely Digital Bhoomi (DB)
    Follow DB-Twitter Follow DB-YouTube Follow DB-Facebook

Yes Piracy kills.... But I don't think this type of piracy (dvds/cds) exists in other countries so much, like in India..... Though piracy is bad, we need to analyse the reason behind it...

Some 10 years before, I remember going to newly released movies with my parents, where the tickets used to be Rs.4, Rs.8, Rs.15 depending on the rows and facilities (like balcony)... But now, if you want to see a newly released movie, then you should have atleast Rs.25 - Rs.50 per person... So, if a middle class family consisting of 6 persons (like father,mother, 2 kids, grandpa, grandma), then a minimum of Rs. 200 is required, which is a big sum, even now... So, they will think, just in Rs.25 (the cost of the pirated dvd) the whole family can enjoy the movie in home.....

In India, the cine field has grown to the level of Hollywood.... The theaters have grown to the level of 5 star hotels..... The high society has grown even higher level.... But the poor are still remaining poor....

In India, even now, the poor people are higher in percentage than those who are developed / developing.... Such people too need entertainments.... But they cannot think of ethics.... They will think of what they can afford....

Need to rectify the basic problem.... Then such issues will vanish automatically as in developed countries...

Am I not right friends?

Default Those enjoyable days...

I totally agree with Mythili. In my days, the tickets were just Re1.50 and Rs2 while the front benchers enjoyed at 70 to 80 paise. But we should also see that the rate of earning has also increased with the rates of cost of cinemas. In those days earning a few hundreds of rupees was great as earning a few thousands today.

In those days it was a pleasure to go to a cinema hall with our family and enjoy the movie. Today, not only the cost but also the crowd which howls and boos a lot is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by jayashree s kumar View Post
    But we should also see that the rate of earning has also increased with the rates of cost of cinemas. In those days earning a few hundreds of rupees was great as earning a few thousands today.
    Chellamaa, you have to note my point "High society is growing higher... Poor is still poor"...

The earning rate is increased only in few fields like IT.... Still the govt sectors are under development only... We need to compare the percentage of growth....

For example, 10 years before the ticket was Rs.4 and now it is Rs.40... So, it is 10 times greater.... But, 10 years befor, a person who earned Rs.10000 in govt sector is surely not going to get a one lakh as salary now.... right????

finally, I will have a good sleep today having an argument with my chellamaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by MythiliK View Post
    Some 10 years before, I remember going to newly released movies with my parents, where the tickets used to be Rs.4, Rs.8, Rs.15 depending on the rows and facilities (like balcony)... But now, if you want to see a newly released movie, then you should have atleast Rs.25 - Rs.50 per person... So, if a middle class family consisting of 6 persons (like father,mother, 2 kids, grandpa, grandma), then a minimum of Rs. 200 is required, which is a big sum, even now... So, they will think, just in Rs.25 (the cost of the pirated dvd) the whole family can enjoy the movie in home.....
    Yeah Mythili , but now the minimum price of one ticket is about Rs.50 going upto Rs.120 and more , in some cities . That too during the intial release of the movie , prices are much more higher where a ticket costs miimum of Rs.100 . So there is no chance of watching the movie along with family , esp middle class . And since most people belong to middle income group , they prefer low-priced , in other words : pirated cds . Gone are the days when pirated cds didnt have much clarity , nowadays even the pirated ones come in digital quality that except for the cd pack , you dont notice much difference

But they cannot think of ethics.... They will think of what they can afford....
    Exactly , when the money matters comes , ethics and thoughts of 'let-me-be-a-responsible-citizen' takes a back seat . For many , saving money here is more important than anything else , even though the money thus saved is wasted on irrelevant things