Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Return to India or Not?

Blog Entries

Default Return to India or Not?

This is basically depends on the individual. Some people love to live abroad, they just hate whenever they visit India. Some NRIs have secret desire to return to India someday.

Among the NRIs X+1 syndrome is very common. They always try to postpone the move to next year, that’s why it’s called X+1. Now, many NRIs started moving back to India mainly because of the opportunities at home.

There are many other reasons too.

• You work in India, you will still get a chance to go around the world. VCs and big companies realized the role of India in global scenario. Your chances are striking on your own is brighter.
    • Closer to Home – I think this is a huge thing, unless you don’t like your family back in India! I am not kidding, I know some people who don’t want to see their relatives back home.
    • India will shine. I can’t say India is shining. Look at the roads when there is a rain for just 2 hours. Check out all the slum areas. Corruption is everywhere. Is this a shining country? Still, it’s our country. It will shine if we can eradicate bad attitude and instill some self-discipline.

It is good for India that the well educated and qualified people are thinking of returning to India. Because of less opportunities and less salary they had moved to foreign countries.
    However, the way India is progressing due to globalisation, now pleanty of opportunities have started attracted NRIs to India. We must welcome them.

yes its a welcoming note for people are coming back to india. the scale of pay here has increased due to international market and ofcourse its better here in our country where we can earn and save money also. With improving infrastructure and influx of MNCs , the employment chances have increased manyfolds.
    Then why to serve any other country, when they are hiring u because u r indian, and indian minds are brilliant, conscience is clear and souls hardworking. We should be proud of being an "indian".

Quote Originally Posted by jyothi_pv1 View Post
    yes its a welcoming note for people are coming back to india. the scale of pay here has increased due to international market and ofcourse its better here in our country where we can earn and save money also. With improving infrastructure and influx of MNCs , the employment chances have increased manyfolds.
    Then why to serve any other country, when they are hiring u because u r indian, and indian minds are brilliant, conscience is clear and souls hardworking. We should be proud of being an "indian".
    I agree with your point jyothi...But the main motto of coming to INDIA again for the profession is due to the rapid downfall in the dollar rate... As each and every day the dollar rate is getting reduced most people dont even prefer to go to US for work as i am noticing the changes in Corporate i am giving a clear picture of it...

Blog Entries

Jagan,

There is no connection between falling dollar and returning Indians. If you live abroad, falling dollar doesn't mean much to you. Let us say that you earn $10,000 per month and you save $5,000 per month. Falling dollar rate is not going to affect your savings in dollars. It has zero effect.

On the other hand, if you send money back to India, $5,000 savings will give you slightly lesser rupee amount. So, only the people that send money to India are affected. If you are settled in U.S., falling dollar can't force you to go back to India.

Dollar argument is applicable only for Indians living in U.S. How about Indians that live in other parts of the world. For the indians living in U.K., falling dollar is a blessing. They get more dollars for pounds, many Indians started buying vacation houses in New York, mainly because of falling dollars. There are more Indians migrating from U.K. to India, falling dollar has nothing to do with that.

Bottom line is this: Indians are returning back to India mainly because India is booming. At least, that's what they hear in U.S. and U.K. Many overseas Indians are assuming that India has lot more opportunities. So, they try to take advantage of it.

BTW, I know couple of Indians that went back to U.S. after living for just few months in Bangalore. Silicon Valley is also started booming with lot more jobs now.

There is a related article in Economic times. It's about falling dollar and returning Indians. Read it in http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/2626656.cms; Make sure that you read the comments at end of article.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Jagan,

There is no connection between falling dollar and returning Indians. If you live abroad, falling dollar doesn't mean much to you. Let us say that you earn $10,000 per month and you save $5,000 per month. Falling dollar rate is not going to affect your savings in dollars. It has zero effect.

On the other hand, if you send money back to India, $5,000 savings will give you slightly lesser rupee amount. So, only the people that send money to India are affected. If you are settled in U.S., falling dollar can't force you to go back to India.

Dollar argument is applicable only for Indians living in U.S. How about Indians that live in other parts of the world. For the indians living in U.K., falling dollar is a blessing. They get more dollars for pounds, many Indians started buying vacation houses in New York, mainly because of falling dollars. There are more Indians migrating from U.K. to India, falling dollar has nothing to do with that.

Bottom line is this: Indians are returning back to India mainly because India is booming. At least, that's what they hear in U.S. and U.K. Many overseas Indians are assuming that India has lot more opportunities. So, they try to take advantage of it.

BTW, I know couple of Indians that went back to U.S. after living for just few months in Bangalore. Silicon Valley is also started booming with lot more jobs now.
    Thanks Admin for sharing this useful information...but i meant to say that the Indians going to US might reduce right because of this one....

Hi Jagan,

You are right if the intention of those Indians are to go for a short trip, share in a cramped apt with few other friends, try to save every dollar and send money home (as is the classic case with candidates from consulting companies). If people are more open minded, would like to explore the world, learn true cultures of different people and learn a very important skill of dealing with multiple personalities, then it is still worth to visit multiple countries. That experience is invaluable. Much beyond a few hundred dollars of saving.

Thoughts?

- Adarsh

I am not sure of anyone else but I really wish to get back to India along with some savings in hand. It took almost 2 yrs for me to plan out my trip and the moment I was there I touched the ground and prayed it. I am not sure why I did that but somehow felt that I got back my good old days back. Nice to be with my family and friends rather than staying so far off in a different land.

Blog Entries

That shows how much you missed India. Being with the family makes lot of difference, I agree. Your family and true friends are the ones that really care for you. Living abroad is good as long as you have most of the family members with you. If you live alone in a foreign country, sooner or later life would feel empty. Just my 2 cents on this topic.