Thread: Ore Kadal

Default Ore Kadal

Language : Malayalam Director : Shyam Prasad

Yesterday, I got to watch this movie. For a long time, I couldn't come out thinking about the climax. I couldn't digest it. This is based on a Bengali novel written by Sunil Gangopadhyays called Hirak Deepthi

The movie starts with a Economist "Nathan" (Mammoty), a so called Social Scientist. He loves to live without any commitments and relationships. For him, women are only for physical needs. Dela (Ramya Krishnan) is a high class call girl, who is a friend to him. Deepthi (Meera Jasmine) is a middle class woman, who has no much outer world knowledge lives with her husband and a son in the same apartment of Nathan. Since her husband Jayan (Naren) lost his job 1.5 years before, her family is always trying hard to make the ends meet.

The scene which was shown as the first meet of Nathan and Deepthi was in the lift, where Deepthi stood with a prescription in hand and tears in eyes, as her son is sick and there was no money in her hand to treat him and her husband was away for an interview. Then Nathan helps her to take her son to hospital. After few days, Deepthi again visits Nathan in his apartment to ask for some money. Her eyes show her attraction towards Nathan's certificates kept in his home, his name and fame.

After few days, when her husband got a temporary job, she goes to meet Nathan to return his money and ask for a permanent job help for her husband. That day, Nathan's aunt died and he was celebrating, as the last bond of his life is over. So, he nears Deepthi for the celebration. When she hesitated first, he asks her to leave if not interested. But she couldn't and makes love with Nathan. Her illegal affair with Nathan continues to level that she turns pregnant. Though it is illegal relation, she started loving Nathan deeply. But when she found that he is interested only on physical needs and she is no one worth to him, she gets broken down.

Deepthi delivers a gal baby, but due to her guilty conscious and confused love on Nathan, she turns mad. With the help of Nathan, her husband (poor guy who knows anything about their affairs) admits her in a hospital. Nathan gets the guilt feeling that Deepthi was turned mad because of him, and Dela adds to that, saying that the second child would be his and he should be lucky to be loved by some one like this.

After 4 years, when Deepthi got well, her husband takes her back to home, where their son and daughter waits for her. Deepthi tries to keep her away from old memories. But when she gets to see Nathan once again, all her holds get loosen and she goes to meet him. Nathan, now who is in great love with her, accepts her and her kids and the movie ends here.

After watching this movie, I just roamed through internet to see what people said about the climax.

I was surprised to see 90% of them saying "Better she moved with the person whom she loved, instead of wasting her life and turning mad again. Indian culture is like that, though a person finds love in some other, they cannot live their happy as per their wish... blah blah blah".

I know there are many people's life have such incidents and now it is very common in middle class families. But my questions are:

1. Is that mother so selfish that she didn't think about her kids and just think about her needs? For the kids (Son around 10 years and daughter around 4 years), till date, they know Jayan as their father. Will they cope up with the new changes?

2. What sin Jayan did? He waited for Deepthi's return after turning mad, even without doing a second marriage. He took care of the kids well. Now how he will manage this shock? Won't he turn mad, losing his entire family when he returns back from office?

3. How Deepthi justifies her love to Nathan as true, even after he clearly says that he used her for physical needs? To me, it is not love. It is his money, his status, name and fame fascinated her and made her to fall for him. Otherwise, no woman will go for a man, who has no love for her.

4. In the movie, nowhere it is shown as Deepthi's husband as bad or their relationship is bad. So, when you have a nice and peaceful life, how she got distracted from her track? Because generally I have seen movies which shows men or women going on illegal affairs, when they don't have a satisfied personal life.

As a movie, it was well directed, well acted. The concept is also a good one, but a very "BITTER" truth to digest.
    Last edited by MythiliK; 19-10-09 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Name misspelled

Forgot to mention. Year of Release : 2007

Meetu, Very nicely narrated by you.....I too don't accept the climax as you say. When the husband is good and when she has a happy family and a son, where is the need to go in for an affair? Maybe, since the movie was taken in 2007, the director wanted to give a "revolutionary" end. had it been produced in the 60s or 70s, the climax would have been different with the girl joining her husband to lead a happy life.

Even K Balachander, the revolutionary director, did not venture to give a climax like this in "Avargal" where Sujatha neither goes back to her ex lover nor to her villainous husband and also not to kamal who was in love with her but she goes off with her kid and her mother in law who wants to give her support.

Yes Chellama, could be an act of revolution... Otherwise, I don't see any base for her affairs with a new man.