Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to perform our public speaking by using time management?

Post How to perform our public speaking by using time management?

27 October 2009

Table of Content

1. Introduction
    2. Tool needed
    3. Time management
    4. My conclusion

1. Introduction

Addressing public speaking is an uneasy task in getting audience attention completely with assiduity. What I am going to tell and share on here is my profound practice related to public speaking in how to maintain the quality time management during addressing and not including for how to prepare the quality topics to be addressed (may be later).

The example is based on if and only if or let say, we were given only thirty (30) minutes to address our speech and must remember this is not debate but a solo public speaking.

2. Tool needed

We need a time piece and must make sure it provides 'countdown timer' either in the form of analog or digital. Set its countdown time starting from thirty (30) minutes.

If we use our cell phone which installed the countdown timer, make sure our cell phone profile setting selected for 'silent' mode, just to ensure no 'shouting' ringing tone amplified by the microphone to the loudspeakers which able to deteriorate the whole public speaking event.

Also must ensure that if we want to use our cell phone countdown timer, we are provided with rostrum. So that there is a place for us to put our cell phone unit before us and within reach. If without rostrum, we have to use other type of time piece (suitable).

3. Time management

a. Number of quality topics

As the time given only for thirty (30) minutes, select only three (3) key topics as 'killer topic' which you really confident after you have done your own analysis during preparation time and it's all about issues or matters which the audience desperately wanted to know about.

- Topic 1 is a heading topic
    - Topic 2 is a supportive topic tell and share the advantage factors in Topic 1
    - Topic 3 is a supportive topic tell and share the disadvantage factors in Topic 1

b. The first five (5) minutes

Must includes the formal appreciations, hypes, motives and objectives of our speech. Pointing and highlight it in a very accentuate manner.

c. The second five (5) minutes

Make it clear what are the important subjects in Topic 1, address it while sometimes evoking some voice interactions from the audience.

d. The third five (5) minutes

Perform bragging by facts and figures on Topic 2 with good play up of body language by means of our authoritative speaking making audience dumbfounded.

e. The fourth five (5) minutes

Gloze or extenuate Topic 3 with our voice language making audience really odium supporting our disadvantages pointed out.

f. The fifth five (5) minutes

Summarize all of the three (3) topics by emphasizing our point of objectives really applicable, feasible, pragmatic to our motives by flashing back item 3b.

g. The final five (5) minutes

Appreciate our audience attendance by using idioms related to the main subject of our public speaking and must be creatively making them feeling need more from us, if possible, a shout from them saying 'we need more....!!!'

4. My conclusion

The first and final five (5) minutes must be scheduled for Item 3b and 3g, the remaining time allotment must be divided into the number of killer topics.

Example;

a. Time allotment: 1 hour equivalent to 60 minutes
    b. Killer Topics: 10 numbers
    c. Intro and summary speech (a must) : 10 minutes, so making the remaining time for killer topics (60 - 10) minutes = 50 minutes
    d. Average time for each killer topic: 50 minutes / 10 topics = 5 minutes

Meaning that from the time given/allowed/authorized, it must minus ten (10) minutes for Item 3b and 3g. Whereas, the remaining time for fifty (50) minutes divided by the number of killer topics and we can get the average time for us to give speech on one killer topic.
    Last edited by michaeldadona; 28-10-09 at 09:34 PM. Reason: edit Item 4c's content.
    FOR VISITOR$ TO JOIN THIS FORUM CLICK HERE
    Prosperity sharing with our lovely Digital Bhoomi (DB)
    Follow DB-Twitter Follow DB-YouTube Follow DB-Facebook

Very good tips Michael But to be honest , I have tried public speaking during comptetions when the time limit is say hardly for 10 minutes . At that time , instead of following the rules and strateiges , I get all the information and opinions needed for the topic and draft a rough piece , before editing and drawing onto the perfect final speech . Sometimes its tough to follow the rules and sequences on the way of flow of contents . So the best rule is to trust and prepare your own best piece . I have followed this and many times been appreciated for the contents and way of presentation of information too . Again it depends on the individual's own way ( to present the contents ) and the topic too

Mike, You have given very useful information and tips for people wanting to speak in public. Public speaking is indeed an art, for, you need to first attract the attention of the audience, then make them feel engrossed in your speech and last but not the least they need to understand clearly whatever you say.

At times, when the time limit especially is short, brevity should be the soul of your speech.

The essence of your speech should be made clear in the final part of your speech.

Though you may need to reiterate certain things to emphasize your point of view, mere repetitions should be avoided as it will lessen the audience's interest.

Though I have not had great experience as a public speaker, I thought to share my views here as a listener would want to on this great topic.

Post writing/speaking attentive force

Quote Originally Posted by dreamygal View Post
    Again it depends on the individual's own way ( to present the contents ) and the topic too
    I presented about the QUALITY TIME MANAGEMENT to be used in one public speaking and not yet about WAYS and TOPICS.....hahaha!

Come on D, you're a writer, must learn how to read and react. Next time refer to the title or topic of discussion. I have put in the bracket (may be later) for how to select the quality topic.

One more thing, in your writing must avoid using 'it depends on the individual's own way' because it's an indecisive (obfuscation statement) and weak point in writing. Do not 'free' your reader's mind of thought to abide with your writing/speaking attentive force* (a systemic). This is for your future quality writing and earning.

By the way, as always - in respectful I thanking you so much for your nice reply. Cheers! D

Me too, as always very sincere in giving comment.

* a special class who formally learn about writing/speaking

Small example of 'writing attentive force' with no obfuscation statement, my reply;
    Does GOD really exist? yes/no? - thread posted by Niha_rika
    http://www.digitalbhoomi.in/forums/s...ad.php?t=15738
    Last edited by michaeldadona; 28-10-09 at 05:24 PM. Reason: mispell and repetition of the same words

Post A control in quality time management

Quote Originally Posted by jayashree s kumar View Post
    The essence of your speech should be made clear in the final part of your speech.
    Yeah, a speaker needs to learn about how to manage it by using Quality Time Management. Wrong timing, whatever good contents of speech will totally make less value as audience feeling a waste of time and irrelevant.

MY SPECIAL PERSONAL REQUEST TO DIGITAL BHOOMI;
    Don't give me point on this reply post because I just want to give proof to all members any genuine writing on here (no plagiarism); already crawled, grouped, ranked and registered as original with non-duplicate content status.

Hopes my little information regarding plagiarism issue on here seriously taken by all members in promoting Digital Bhoomi as a genuine forum on internet world.

The proof link; http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache...&hl=en&ct=clnk

Jerry Kipler

Great article! Good points, you also want to make sure that you don't appear nervous in front of the audience so that they can tell that you are confident. People wont listen to someone who isn't confident about what they are presenting. Also, make it a point of your presentation to not fiddle or continually shift your weight while you present. Such movements will distract from your overall presentation.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kipler View Post
    Great article! Good points, you also want to make sure that you don't appear nervous in front of the audience so that they can tell that you are confident. People wont listen to someone who isn't confident about what they are presenting. Also, make it a point of your presentation to not fiddle or continually shift your weight while you present. Such movements will distract from your overall presentation.
    Super! I love it!

Post Controlling 'body language' in one public speaking

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kipler View Post
    That is under 'Body Language' part and control. Now we are discussing about QUALITY TIME MANAGEMENT in one public speaking.

Refer to the specific title before reply. Learning how to react by focusing to the title of discussion is a must. Read my comment to 'dreamygal' reply. Focus on the title of one discussion showing that you're familiar with public speaking by experience.

In anyways, I must thank you for your sincere participation in my small house of discussion. I SALUTE YOU! for giving your fresh idea.

Publish one new thread about 'How to control nervous in one public speaking?' - I want to read your original idea.....please!

Post QTM - Quality Time Management

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Super! I love it!
    Yeah...me too, love reading Jerry Kipler's fresh idea, but and unfortunately, irrelevant to the thread's title which is discussing about how to get benefits from QTM in one public speaking.