Thread: Indian engineer builds glaciers to stop warming

Post Indian engineer builds glaciers to stop warming

31 October 2009

Indian engineer builds glaciers to stop warming

News Source Link: Silicon India News Bureuau

I love reading this news article and Chewang Norphel (photo) is the one who should be accolade as Nobelist on global warming with Nobel Prize. He had done a very good start and not just talking but his ideas and works really answered with good results.

New Delhi:

A retired Indian engineer, Chewang Norphel, 76, has built 12 new glaciers already and is racing to create five more before he dies, and by then he hopes to train enough new 'icemen' to continue the work he is doing to save the world's 'third icecap' from being transformed into rivers, reports Telegraph.

His race against time is shared by Manmohan Singh, the Indian Prime Minister, who called on the region's Himalayan nations, including China, Pakistan, Nepal and Bhutan, to constitute a united front to tackle glacial melting.

The Himalayan glaciers, including Kashmir's Siachen glacier, feed the region's most important rivers, as they irrigate farm lands in Tibet, Nepal and Bangladesh and throughout the Indian subcontinent. The acceleration in glacial melting has been blamed as the reason for the increase in floods that have destroyed homes and crops.

But Chewang Norphel, the "Iceman of Ladakh", believes that he has an answer.

By diverting melt water through a network of pipes into artificial lakes in the shaded side of mountain valleys, Norphel states that he has created new glaciers.

A dam or embankment is built to keep the water in, which freezes at night and remains frozen in the absence of direct sunlight. This water remains frozen until March, when the start of summer melts the new glacier and releases the water into the rivers downside.

His glaciers have been able to each store up to one million cubic feet of ice, which in turn can irrigate 200 hectares of farm land. This can make the difference between crop failure and a bumper crop of more than 1,000 tons of wheat for the farmers.

Norphel says that he has seen the effects of global warming on farmland as snows have become thinner on the ground and ice rivers have melted away.

His work has now been recognized by the Indian government, which has given him 16,000 pounds to build five new glaciers. But time is his enemy, he told The Hindustan Times. "I'm planning to train villagers with instruction CDs that I have made, so that I can pass on the knowledge before I die," he said.
    He really answered the nature call and proves that an old a gold. I really appreciate the supports given by The Prime Minister of India, Dr Manmohan Singh.

Proof of water very less in Tibet area for now. Which means India Northern region shares the same.

FOR VISITOR$ TO JOIN THIS FORUM CLICK HERE
    Prosperity sharing with our lovely Digital Bhoomi (DB)
    Follow DB-Twitter Follow DB-YouTube Follow DB-Facebook

Thumbs up The fight against global warming.....

A very very informative thread by you, Mike. Rated 5 stars....
    When a 76 year young gentleman can do such innovation, I am sure youngsters who are quite intelligent and have innovative ideas need to rise and do such things to save our beautiful world from global warming.

Mr. Norphel's service to mankind is indeed selfless. May he live long long enough to see his dreams realize to the optimum level.

I am also glad that the Indian Government is being very supportive to him in his endeavor.

Looking forward to more "Norphels" and more such services by them to help in preserving our beautiful world for posterity....

Post Hopes India government fully sponsor Chewang Norphel for Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by jayashree s kumar View Post
    A very very informative thread by you, Mike. Rated 5 stars....
    When a 76 year young gentleman can do such innovation, I am sure youngsters who are quite intelligent and have innovative ideas need to rise and do such things to save our beautiful world from global warming.
    Thanks for the rating, J. More about him, he has been doing these things since the last fourteen (14) years started in 1995. A real challenge to all young engineers.

The best thing this news is a good source for me to update my 'India Latest News' for my indiabhoomi blog complete with his Biodata....hahahahaha! make money from other people achievement....outch!!!

Mr. Norphel's service to mankind is indeed selfless. May he live long long enough to see his dreams realize to the optimum level.
    You're speaking very right and true, J. To me I can categorized him as a 'human' people. He worked and speak, not like others speak and just a speak. I salute him!!

I am also glad that the Indian Government is being very supportive to him in his endeavor.
    My tears dropping on reading this supportive statement, frankly. What I hope, by meritocracy academic system India government fully sponsor Chewang Norphel for Ph.D. crossing the two (2) academic levels for Bachelor Degree and Masters' Degree as he only completed for Diploma in Civil Engineering in 1960. But, graduate in 1960 actually just like a Bachelor Degree compare to today academic learning because during his tertiary learning very less facility in all aspects of learning providence. I mean, like scholarship and things related to one Diploma student (completed) to pursue for Bachelor Degree.

Looking forward to more "Norphels" and more such services by them to help in preserving our beautiful world for posterity....
    Like I said, he is a 'human' people. I am touched when he said "BEFORE HE DIE"....auwwww! what a real human people he is, J.

We all can imagine, if all glaciers melting - what would happens to The Mother of Ganga and all the 240million people living along the River Ganges? It will be a great disaster with huge flood along the entire river area? Huhhhh!....don't know how to imagine and what to say - I think India already enough with the recent flood 'feast' across the three (3) states - Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Maharashtra.
    Last edited by michaeldadona; 31-10-09 at 07:07 PM. Reason: We all can imagine, if all glaciers melting .....and the rest
    FOR VISITOR$ TO JOIN THIS FORUM CLICK HERE
    Prosperity sharing with our lovely Digital Bhoomi (DB)
    Follow DB-Twitter Follow DB-YouTube Follow DB-Facebook