Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Microwave Cooking

Default Tips for Microwave Cooking

The microwave oven is now an essential part of most kitchens. It will not heat up your kitchen when its hot outside - durong summer. Unfortunately, most people still use the microwave to reheat, make popocorn and saute. Thatís just fine - but the appliance can do so much more!
    Microwaves can pass through plastic, paper, wood and glass but not through metals. Thatís why youíll get ďArchingĒ or sparking if you put metal in the microwave.You might be used to your ovens temperature in degrees but you can convert your microwaveís temperature that is described in power or watts. A microwave on high or 100% power is about the same as having your oven at 425 degrees. A 350-degree oven would be about the same as a microwave at 50% power.
    Round dishes give more even cooking results than squares or rectangles.Never pile food one on top of the other. In a microwave food always cooks evenly when spaced apart.For cut vegetables make sure pieces are of equal size for equal cooking.Always start off with the shortest cooking time listed in the recipe, this way vegetables will not be overcooked. You can always cook it for some more time if required.

Milk based foods tend to boil over so use a larger and deeper container.You cannot fry in the microwave, as cooking fat in large quantities is dangerous.

Benefits using Microwave:

1. Cooking is very fast and economical
    2. Consumes less oil
    3. Taste remains the same
    4. You can make cake
    5. Microwave cannot harm your food
    6. Helps you defrost food in a easier way

So what are you waiting for, get yourself a microwave and enjoy low calorie cooking with less power consumption. I guess this is the need of the hour.

Default Some more about Microwave....

Some more tips for people who use microwave...

1. Never keep liquids closed in a microwave, chances of bursting is more..so make sure, you leave liquids in a open vessel.
    2. Never use plastics, even if they are tupperware and micro safe for more than 10 minutes in microwave...Its always safe to use borosil and its very safe.
    3. Boil veggies in a jiffy in a micro...Potatoes take as less as 6- 8 minutes..I usually peel the skin...prick them with forks all over and boil them, it turns out to be real well.
    4. Groundnuts can be fried without any oil...Just keep groundnuts spread on the glass in the micro and roast them with convection on...
    5. I infact make rice also in the micro..For people who are habitual of having rice cooked in pressure cooker, would find no difference.

Lots more...Microwave has become a part of my life and is one of my best friends in my kitchen!

Banned

Yo gaiys its too good tips there !!!

I appreciate you idea for sharing this tips,some of us have really confuse for some small but important natters of micro wave,so it is important to share such kind of tips to improve awareness of microwave and ignore the accidents which are suppose to be happen as a result of less knowledge of microwave.

Small amounts of aluminum can be used to cover different parts of foods to avoid sunburn, but certain procedures must be followed.

Can you tell me how to make pizza with the help of micro wave oven .

Microwaves have become a necessity in today's world, especially with the dearth of time and the superfast pace of life. Cooking gets done quickly and with absolutely no fuss, so long as one follows the instructions to the very end. There are many more things that can be done with a microwave, apart from mere heating, and super chefs like sanjeev Kapoor and Nita Mehta have brought out books on microwave cooking that are of great help to the novice cook!

Smile

THANKS all for the helpfull tips...
    you can also put tamarind in a bowl and leave it for 1 mins the tamarind becomes very soft...and we can use that for sambar,rasam.

Thankyou all to share so many tips on microwave cooking. Microwave has become an essence of our kitchen and undoubtedly is very time saving and helpful.

For foods cooked in liquid, or which generate a great deal of juice, make a gap in the cling film cover by rolling back edge. This enables excess moisture to escape. Or use special microwave lids, which have slits in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast