Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chilika – a paradise

Thumbs up Chilika – a paradise

Chilika lagoon is situated in the eastern coast of India in the state of Orissa. It is the largest brackish water lake in Asia covering an area of over 1,100 sq. km. It's location is far away from the hustle bustle of the city and serves as the perfect getaway from the daily tensions. Here the atmosphere is just serene and soothing, amidst the blue expanse of water on one side and an evergreen range of hills on the other. It is queen of natural beauty. Sunset and Sunrise are memorable experiences here. If you are a seafood lover, you will relish the delicious seafood served here.
    Chilika supports some of the largest congregation of migratory birds in the country, particularly during the winter. Flocks of migratory waterfowl arrive from as far as the Caspian Sea, Lake Baikal, Aral Sea, remote parts of Russia, Kirghiz steppes of Mongolia, Central and South East Asia, Ladakh and the Himalayas, to feed and breed in its fertile waters.On account of its rich bio-diversity, It was designated as a "Ramsar Site", i.e. a wetland of International Importance.

ATTRACTIONS IN CHILIKA:- Some of the attractions in chilika are as follows:-
    Nalbana Island:A number of islands dot the expanse of the lake including Nalbana Island. Due to its varied flora and fauna, it forms the core of Chilika sanctuary. It is notified as a Bird Sanctuary under Wildlife (Protection) Act.
    Birds Island: It is a heaven for the resident and migratory birds. One can watch the birds in their natural habitat here.
    Kalijal Island: Kalijal Island is home to the Goddess Kalijai, and hosts a huge fair on Makar Sankranti annually in the month of January.
    Satapada:Satapada is another retreat in nature on Chilika Lake.The thrilling sight of Dolphins round the year and abundance of migratory and resident birds in winter make Satapada a preferred lace for a vacation with nature.
    Parikud and Malud: They are beautiful islands within the lake.
    Brahmapura: The place is known for its scenic beauty.

BEST TIME TO VISIT
    It is worth visiting the year round, but the best time to visit is during winter(November to February), when the migratory birds arrive here.

CRUISING ON CHILIKA
    A cruise in Chilika will be a life-long memory. There are motor launches of OTDC Ltd. available at Barkul and Ramba. The Revenue Department also maintains some boats at Balugaon. One can also hire country boats from private operators.

HOW TO GET THERE
    By Air:
    Bhubaneswar is the nearest airport, situated 105-km from Barkul, 130-km from Rambha and 110-km from Satpada. Indian Airlines has flights from Delhi, Calcutta, Visakhapatnam, Raipur, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Chennai.

By Railway: The Calcutta-Chennai rail route of South Eastern Railway touches Chilika Lake at Balugaon, Chilika, Khallikote and Rambha. The nearest railway Station for Barkul is at Balugaon (5-km) and for Satpada, at Puri (50-km).

By Road:
    The Chennai bound National Highway No.5 linking Calcutta-Cuttack-Bhubaneswar-Balugaon-Barkul-Rambha-Berhampur and Visakhapatnam runs along the lake. OTDC and other private tour operators provide luxury coaches and cars from Puri and Bhubaneswar

WHERE TO STAY
    Plenty of accommodation is available at various places in and around the lake. Some are maintained and managed by OTDC (Orissa Tourism Development Corporation Ltd) and many are privately owned.

I am sure the dazzling view of the Chilika Lake, the melodious humming of birds and the rejuvenating calmness will make you spellbound. A visit to chilika will make an ever-lasting impression in your mind.
    Last edited by sanchita; 13-03-10 at 02:19 PM.

brief content, i like this information, chilika lagoon i heard first time this name, Thanks for sharing information.

Silky12345

Default Thread: Chilika – a paradise

Irrawaddy dolphins and many other world's endangered species can be found in Chilka which makes it a lovely tourist spot..

Chilika is a real heaven , once I have been there with my Indian friend. We had fun over there. I loved the seafood over there and even we saw some dolphins too.

I never go in this place but I heard many time about this place from my some Indian friends, Its very nice natural place and there atmosphere is really cool. I am just planning to seen this place in my next summer vacation.

Surrounded by green hills and interspersed islands, Chilika is a sanctuary and winter resort of visitors from all over the wing world.chilika migratory birds through their magical spells and treasure trove of aquatic animals and plants. Striking lakes, full of the boat, reflecting India's most colorful in her. Real Chalkier is the most delicious dishes for the hungry eyes and hungry hearts.

Thank you Sanchita. Is Orissa safe place to visit? sorry to ask. I am not too comfortable with north eastern part of our country.

Last edited by funlover; 07-04-11 at 06:44 AM.
    Be Happy. Just Enjoy Your Life!

Chilika lagoon is a part freshwater lake and part saltwater estuary. Its high productivity and the presence of a variety of habitats. Though you can visit the lake throughout the year, October-March is the best season because many migratory birds are available in this place. And definitely it is safe place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by funlover View Post
    Thank you Sanchita. Is Orissa safe place to visit? sorry to ask. I am not too comfortable with north eastern part of our country.

Orissa is in the south eastern part of our country and not in the north eastern part. Yes, it is very safe. Go ahead and visit this wonderful place. You would definitely love it.

Chilika is recognized as one of the most important wetlands in the world because it is home to a phenomenal variety of birds.It is the largest brackist water lake of Asia.It is also known as birds paradise.Many birds are migrate here in winter season.