Thread: Don't make me feel odd, old and mad

Red face Don't make me feel odd, old and mad

Few years back, when I were working in Bangalore, I was exactly 24 years old. I used to travel back and forth to office by public transport (bus). During that, many school and college girls used to travel along with us. Funnily, almost all of them (the college girls, who were around 20 - 21 years of age) used to call me (and most others who are travelling for work) as "AUNTY". I used to think "Oh come on. I just completed my college last year and how I turned aunty to you?". But then, I never went for any explanation, as I didn't care much about it.

But now, the real irritation happened when were in India. A lady who is a year elder to me called me "AUNTY", just because she is still unmarried and I have a 3 years old son (Now, few of you may be scratching your head, how I know she is elder than me. FYI, she is one of my relatives distant relative).

I really felt odd and mad, but didn't know how to react to such a stupid one and my relative said, she does this often to make sure she is still younger than all.

One of my friend got married when we were in 10th grade (which means, she was just 16 years old at that time) and had a baby at her age of 17 itself. Now she has a 13 years old boy. Thankfully, this lady didn't get a chance to meet my friend. Else, she might have called her "Grand ma". Give me a break.

This topic may look funny and ofcourse it is. But sometimes, it relates with our emotions too. With days fleeing off, mind and physic getting tired every now and then, such words like "Aunty", really drives me crazy. But I really enjoy when small tender kids walking on the road sides to schools, call me "Aunty"

Default Don't make me old, odd and mad.

Yes Mythili,
    It happens very often.
    I can relate to it well because I have gone through the same experience.
    I got married at 21 and a cousin of my husband who was 27 and still not married, called me auntie and bragged that she always is highly respectful towards her elders. I suppose it stems from a sense of inadequacy that people for whom marriage is the be all and end all of life feel and a desperate urge to believe themselves to be very young.
    A very readable post.
    Revathi Seshadri.

Quote Originally Posted by revathi.seshadri View Post
    I suppose it stems from a sense of inadequacy that people for whom marriage is the be all and end all of life feel and a desperate urge to believe themselves to be very young.
    A very readable post.
    Revathi Seshadri.
    Thank you so much Revathi mam. And very well said. It is mostly seen in our Indian culture, that there is no life (I mean fun and enjoyment) for ladies after marriage. Hope it changes.

Meanwhile, I wish, the one person whom I call as "Amma" in this forum won't go on a strike after reading this post, for calling her so

A thread venting out your feelings and emotions on a "touchy" topic by you, Meetu.

When people especially who are elder to you call you "aunty", be cool and answer, " Madam (or Aunty), you can call me Mythili as you are elder to me"...

As for me, I never feel bad when people call me aunty. Sometimes vendors call me akka(elder sister) too!!. It does not matter as long as they do not disrespect me. Some of my networking friends on sites like Facebook ask me if they should address me as Madam or aunty(after I tell them my age).

Meanwhile, I wish, the one person whom I call as "Amma" in this forum won't go on a strike after reading this post, for calling her so
    Meetu, how can you ever think so after knowing me quite well? I am in fact very happy and proud to have found a daughter in you...

By the way, I was reminded of an incident that happened many years ago. Once when my father who was in his 70s came to board me onto a bus, some youngsters in their twenties addressed him "thaatha," and I who was in my 30s got angry and retorted at them, is he your grandpa? But my father said, " it's ok, do not get angry". Somehow I did not like my father though aged being called thaatha(grandpa) by some strangers who were unruly too in the bus.

Whatever the age may be, a person is a kid to his or her parents always...and the kids can never stand their parents being mocked at or teased...

Sometimes i can't stop laugh ,if someone called my relatives uncle or aunty.But recently same thing happen to me "5 year old kid told me uncle pass out need to catch a ball" from that moment i feel grown-up.But hey my age is not big someone called me uncle.
    Last edited by karan; 21-06-10 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayashree s kumar View Post
    By the way, I was reminded of an incident that happened many years ago. Once when my father who was in his 70s came to board me onto a bus, some youngsters in their twenties addressed him "thaatha," and I who was in my 30s got angry and retorted at them, is he your grandpa? But my father said, " it's ok, do not get angry". Somehow I did not like my father though aged being called thaatha(grandpa) by some strangers who were unruly too in the bus.

Whatever the age may be, a person is a kid to his or her parents always...and the kids can never stand their parents being mocked at or teased...
    Chellamaa, my grandma (mom's mom) had 9 children. My mom is the youngest of all. So, the eldest periyamma (badimaa) is nearly 15 years elder to my mom. So, the eldest daughter of my periyamaa (eldest sister to all of us) is just 6 years younger to my mother. So, my mom turned chithee (chottima) at her age of 6.

Now, my that eldest sister has a daughter of age 24, which means I too turned chottima at my age of 6. Now, I am waiting and counting days to turn into a grandma soon, as they already in search of a groom for my sister's daughter

Default KB movie or Visu's dialogue...

Chellamaa, my grandma (mom's mom) had 9 children. My mom is the youngest of all. So, the eldest periyamma (badimaa) is nearly 15 years elder to my mom. So, the eldest daughter of my periyamaa (eldest sister to all of us) is just 6 years younger to my mother. So, my mom turned chithee (chottima) at her age of 6.

Now, my that eldest sister has a daughter of age 24, which means I too turned chottima at my age of 6. Now, I am waiting and counting days to turn into a grandma soon, as they already in search of a groom for my sister's daughter
    Meetu, feel like having watched a scene from K Balachandar's movie or listened to Visu's dialogue...