Thread: Best Airlines to travel from (San Francisco) USA to India

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Best Airlines to travel from (San Francisco) USA to India

1. Singapore Airlines:

I love Singapore Airlines. They are amazing with the quality of service. So, my first choice is SIA (Singapore Airlines). Recentyl, there is another reason to love singapore airlines esp if you travel to chennai from US. Singapore airlines alliance flight silk airways reach Chennai at 3:30pm!! so, you get out of airport, go home, take shower, have evening coffee, have dinner, then sleep. next day, you are in the normal mode. no jet lag whatsoever! Isnt that great!!

2. Cathay Pacific:

This airlines' hub is Hong Kong. So, all flights go thru hong kong. Service is as good as Singapore airlines. Food is not as good as SIA, but it's not bad.

Good thing with Cathay pacific is the less travel time compared to singapore airlines. There will be only two flights to catch from San francisco to chennai -- one from San francisco to Hong kong and another from hong kong to chennai. It's kind of neat. If you take singapore airlines, you need to take 3 flights from SFO to chennai. one from SFO to hong kong, second from hong kong to singapore and last one from singapore to Chennai.

Singapore airlines and Cathay pacific both are great. SIA is little more expensive. but, it reaches chennai at 3:30pm. So, I prefer Singapore airlines.

3. British Airways:

This could be the shorter flight compared to other airlines. But, the seats are small and leg space is not great. food is also just ok compared to singapore airlines or cathay pacific.

Good thing about british airways is that you wont feel very tired after long journey. because the travel is split in two equal time periods if you travel from san francisco to chennai. there is 10 hr travel from san francisco to london and another 10 hr travel from london to chennai. just 20 hrs, you are home. compared to this, Singapore air and cathay pacific would easily take 28 to 34 hrs.

if you have parents that cant sit in the flight for long time, british airways is one of the good choices. esp if your parents have DVT.

4. Lufthansa:

Lufthansa travel time is also less compared to SIA and Cathay pacific. But, the service is lousy. you need to get down in Germany, take a shuttle bus to go to other gates, it's all pain in the wrong place. this could be my last choice.

5. Emirates:

Emirates is preferred by all desis in san francisco area because of food. Some people think that it's the good airlines for their parents because of frequent breaks in the travel. Emirates is ok, but not that great. I traveled in Emirates only once, didn't like it. Service was mediocre, food is cheap, co-passengers were rude, toilets were not clean and all kinda stuff. If you are traveling to kerala, emirates may be a better choice compared to other airlines because of the frequency of flights to trivandrum.
    Be Happy. Just Enjoy Your Life!

I have found Virgin Airlines to be quite good. The food is marginally better and if you fly premium, the leg space is also good.
    Jet Airways also has a good reputation for excellent service and food

I prefer that only for Singapore airlines. They give to best facilities, and if you travel to Chennai from US. Singapore airlines alliance flight silk airways reach Chennai at 3:30pm. It's really good airlines travel to India to US.

I'll always prefer Fly Emirates airlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by mm145 View Post
    I have found Virgin Airlines to be quite good. The food is marginally better and if you fly premium, the leg space is also good.
    Jet Airways also has a good reputation for excellent service and food
    Does virgin go from SFO to India?

British Airways is good.