Thread: India Lacked Killer Instinct In The West Indies

Exclamation India Lacked Killer Instinct In The West Indies

India should have won the last test against a poor bowling attack of the West Indies that is no better than a plate division Ranji Team and should have at least won the series 2-0, while some like Bishan Bedi even says 3-0 was very much possible.
    With only 180 runs required of 47 overs on the last day of the third test and no devil in the pitch and a bowling attack that didn't have even four decent bowlers it was almost taken for granted that the strong batting line up of India would get the target quite easily. Shockingly and to everybody's surprise India didn't make any real efforts to chase down the runs after just a few wickets fell and opted for a draw with only 86 runs to get off 15 overs with 7 wickets in hand.
    India is not only the current world champion in one day cricket but also the number one test ranking team of the world. I can't remember any number one team in the past who played such poor cricket. Neither would the champion Australian team of the past would have let such a golden opportunity of winning a test match and a series by a thumping margin let slip by nor the earlier champions from this West Indies itself.
    Some even say India should have won the second test as well, but since they batted so slow in the middle part and used up so much time that they didn't have enough time to get the Windies batsman out despite the time spoiled by rain.
    This is least expected of the number one team and many say that this must have given enough confidence to the English team to take on the Indians.

From what cricket I've seen so far one thing I can predict that if India continues to play such 'safe cricket' then India will not be able to hold on to the number one team ranking in test cricket for long. It takes a lot of doing to be number one and even more effort to stay there. The Australian team are prime examples of that. I remember many matches where the Australian team was nowhere close to a win but they created winning opportunities by taking their chances like getting their scoring rate first, making attacking field placings, taking chances with a different bowler or batsman when things are not happening, etc. Sadly the same cannot be said of the Indian team as there are other examples of 'playing safe' as well.
    I only hope that India learns from this mistake and gets the killer instinct and ruthless approach in their play that is very much expected of the number one team.

I feel that such behavior of any caption has many reasons.
    One may be pressure of bet masters all over world.
    When there was sure win result in INDIA's favor there was
    no solid and valid reason to do so as a caption.

I dont think so. As Dhoni mentioned, its not worth fighting for. Dhoni would have anticipated the big series happening now India vs England. He would have rested the players to be better prepared for this tour England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranjankumar View Post
    I dont think so. As Dhoni mentioned, its not worth fighting for. Dhoni would have anticipated the big series happening now India vs England. He would have rested the players to be better prepared for this tour England.
    That's a lame excuse and least expected of the number one team of the world and I explained why. Sadly very few people have the idea of what the responsibilities of the number one team are. Surely it is not to play the sort of poor cricket that they played in West Indies. The real number one team never takes its guard off against anybody.