Thread: Electricity...not a "light" problem...

Lightbulb Electricity...not a "light" problem...

Today I read an interestingly useful advertisement given by an Indian citizen living in Chennai. It is prominent on the front page of The New Indian Express and catches our eyes and attention. I would like to share it here in our Forum by reproducing the entire article verbatim:

"An Indian expresses his observation."

“In the world, are there different electricities such as American electricity, Indian electricity, Chinese electricity etcetera?

No.

Electricity is one and the same throughout the world.

Tubelight, TV, fan, mixie, grinder, washing machine, fridge, air conditioner, etc work at 110V in the United States.

The same work at 230V in India.

WHY?

If we also make the household electrical appliances work at 110V, India’s electric power is doubled without adding any thermal power plant or nuclear power plant and a householder’s electricity bill is reduced to half.

A ceiling fan needs 2.5V, but we supply 230V and then reduce it to 2.5V, thereby wasting 227.5V.

As per my understanding, all the household appliances can work at 50V.
    If we reduce the voltage from 230 to 50, India’s electric power is increased by five times without adding any thermal power plant or nuclear plant and a householder’s electricity bill is reduced by five times.

No need of changing the cables since reduced voltage of electricity is supplied.

Sir Isaac Newton discovered gravity of the Earth by observing the fall of an apple, NOT by reading any number of books.

Wright Brothers DID NOT study Aeronautical Engineering and hence they could invent aeroplane using cycle parts.

From the year 2000 onwards Americans have continuously received Nobel Prizes for Economics, but American Economy is doing both rock ‘n’ roll and kathakali dances.

BHARAT LOK KI JAI

Requesting Mr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, and Selvi J Jayalalitha, Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, to do the needful.

By God’s grace – Mr. M. Krishnamoorthy, retired superintendent of customs, residing at No11, Indira Gandhi cross street, Radhanagar, Chromepet, Chennai 600 044.”

Well that is the advertisement given by a Retired official. Having read it, could anyone throw more light on this on the feasibility of his idea? Will it suit our Nation?

As the address of the person has also been given, one may contact him to agree or disagree with him and also share your thoughts and views here as we all know that our country and Tamilnadu especially is facing a great shortage in power supply.

If something is done to solve this problem, it would indeed light the lamps of the hearts of all Indian citizens…
    Last edited by jayashree s kumar; 07-11-11 at 03:13 PM.

Thought provoking article.. I wish such power saving options be available in India too.. Here in downsouth of Tamilnadu, we face regular powercut for 2 hrs a day.. some days even for six hours, thank god, not continuously..

Unregistered

Default What a blunder!

Well, this article from Indian Express is the heights of absurdity... If it was April 1, i would have atleast not bothered about it!

1. Power is proportional to Voltage and current. So, if voltage is reduced, the current taken increases-Power remains constant. Hence, by reducing voltage the net Power requirement remains same!
    What is more, a higher current means higher loss in the insulation of the electric cables.
    2. 'Ceiling fan runs on 2.5 V' Wonder where he got that... Ever seen your ceiling fan work when voltage supply reduces? It runs with all sorts of noise.. and there are chances the coil can burn...

Regards
    An Electric Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by jayashree s kumar View Post
    Today I read an interestingly useful advertisement given by an Indian citizen living in Chennai. It is prominent on the front page of The New Indian Express and catches our eyes and attention. I would like to share it here in our Forum by reproducing the entire article verbatim:

"An Indian expresses his observation."

“In the world, are there different electricities such as American electricity, Indian electricity, Chinese electricity etcetera?

No.

Electricity is one and the same throughout the world.

Tubelight, TV, fan, mixie, grinder, washing machine, fridge, air conditioner, etc work at 110V in the United States.

The same work at 230V in India.

WHY?

If we also make the household electrical appliances work at 110V, India’s electric power is doubled without adding any thermal power plant or nuclear power plant and a householder’s electricity bill is reduced to half.

A ceiling fan needs 2.5V, but we supply 230V and then reduce it to 2.5V, thereby wasting 227.5V.

As per my understanding, all the household appliances can work at 50V.
    If we reduce the voltage from 230 to 50, India’s electric power is increased by five times without adding any thermal power plant or nuclear plant and a householder’s electricity bill is reduced by five times.

No need of changing the cables since reduced voltage of electricity is supplied.

Sir Isaac Newton discovered gravity of the Earth by observing the fall of an apple, NOT by reading any number of books.

Wright Brothers DID NOT study Aeronautical Engineering and hence they could invent aeroplane using cycle parts.

From the year 2000 onwards Americans have continuously received Nobel Prizes for Economics, but American Economy is doing both rock ‘n’ roll and kathakali dances.

BHARAT LOK KI JAI

Requesting Mr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, and Selvi J Jayalalitha, Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, to do the needful.

By God’s grace – Mr. M. Krishnamoorthy, retired superintendent of customs, residing at No11, Indira Gandhi cross street, Radhanagar, Chromepet, Chennai 600 044.”

Well that is the advertisement given by a Retired official. Having read it, could anyone throw more light on this on the feasibility of his idea? Will it suit our Nation?

As the address of the person has also been given, one may contact him to agree or disagree with him and also share your thoughts and views here as we all know that our country and Tamilnadu especially is facing a great shortage in power supply.

If something is done to solve this problem, it would indeed light the lamps of the hearts of all Indian citizens…

Always consider safety first in the installation process. Make sure the lighting is set correctly. Avoid loose screws or bolts. Make all metal seals properly check the metal joints.