Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing an engineering college

Unhappy Choosing an engineering college

It is that time of the year again. You hear horror stories doing the rounds.

Maya's niece paid seven and a half lakhs to get into VIT.
    Sudha paid four lakhs at SRM last year, wonder what they'll charge this year.
    Meenakshi College has set rates two lakhs for civil engineering, three for IT and so on.

It is so scary, everytime I hear this I do some mental arithmetic. All out life savings can be garnered to ensure my child an engineering seat. But is it worth it? I feel sad for my country- where are we headed?

I came across this in a newspaper cartoon-
    E = MC square translated in to Education = Money x Corruption squared.

We desperately need an education system revamp. How will that happen?

billa

Default education system

It will not happen. because parents are willing to pay any amount of money. you forgot to mention the "price" for medical seats. in few years it may run in crores. many politicians run the colleges, they will make sure that law keeps helping them.

I always wonder what these kids are getting into. when you pay 8 lakhs to get a engg seat, just calculate how much money you really spend.

8 lakhs initial cost
    50k per year tuition
    50k per year hostel
    i-e 100k per year ===> * 4 =>>> 400k for 4 year college

8 lakh + 4 lakh = 12 lakh for engg degree. add interest for these 4 years, approx 5 lakh; total of 17 lakh for engg degree in a ok college.

if the student gets the job with 2.4 lakh salary, how much he save? how many years it would take him to get the 17 lakh back?? i vl leave that calc to u.

What if the student can't get 2.4 lakh salary job? what if he can get only 48k per year job? OR may be no job at all for 2 years?

Can anyone justify these prices of engg seats??

Why are u so worried about the costs?Ask students to study well, write an entrance exam, score well and get a free seat....that's what i did.....our tuition fees is 22k, collg bus is 10k,all in all i think i'll complete my engg in not more than 2 lakh....I'll agree education in andhra is cheap but i also feel There are only 2 category of engg collg:
    IIT
    non IIT
    so why pay that much for just another collg when u have same facities cheaper somewhere else....Once u get a job no body is bothered whether u did engg from an a grade collg or a no grade collg.....

Quote Originally Posted by manisha View Post
    Once u get a job no body is bothered whether u did engg from an a grade collg or a no grade collg.....
    NO. it's not true. ur college reputation vl follow u all ur career. esp if u work in india. all indian employers always look at where you studied before even they call u for interview, even after 10 yrs of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by inox View Post
    NO. it's not true. ur college reputation vl follow u all ur career. esp if u work in india. all indian employers always look at where you studied before even they call u for interview, even after 10 yrs of employment.
    Employers might know about the university but how will they know about all the colleges....there are thousands of them....

Any functioning of the college depends on the university to which it is affiliated to.Some universities like IIT,NIT are considered to be good with respect to the environment that is provided to the students.I strongly accept which is already told that the college/university in which a student completes his/her UG/PG will have the affect an affect on his career. This is the reason why most of the parents prefer their wards to be studied in one of the prime colleges.

Default Engineering College

I agree with Manisha, although there are many engineering colleges which offer paid seats but at the same time there are free seats also available. Agreed that for availing this free seat one needs to work on their academic marks as well as entrance exam score. One needs to work hard and try to achieve these free seats rather than just calculating the fees structure of private colleges and worrying about it. Also try to motivate your daughter to work hard and achieve the free seats whose fees is less.

HI this is Peter....I have a doubt how to choose an engineering college in Tamilnadu.Actually my sister is like to do Bio medical degree ..But we don't know which is the best college and future about Bio medical..Can anyone help to us..please it will be very helpful to her career...

If you’ve just finished your 12th standard, and are interested in getting an Engineering degree, which college, and which branch of Engineering to choose can seem like the most difficult, and at the same time, the most important decision of your life.