Thread: How to use western toilet - written especially for guests from India to U.S

Default How to use western toilet - written especially for guests from India to U.S

I hear a common horror story from my friends all the time. stories are mostly from the friends' wives who were forced to clean the mess created by visiting in-laws in the toilet. Indian toilet is actually hygienic by the way In U.S. toilets, there is no water running, there is no "health shower" as commonly indicated in India.

If you plan to travel out of Asia to any other country, this thread will be useful. you can save some embarrassment. Here is the first rule. Don't squat on the western toilet.

Sit on the toilet and do your stuff. Toilet has two lids so to speak.

Top lid is the cover. second lid is the one you should sit on. ok, it's not really the "lid", just want to write in simple terms. Dont sit below the second lid, that's used for standing men to pass out their liquid. It may sound silly. Lot of Indians tend to open first and second lids and sit on the 3rd plate shown in the picture above. If you do that, you basically sit on the urine passed by some guys. disgusting, isnt it. so, dont do that!

Rule 2: Learn how to use the toilet paper.

You better practice it with some paper in India. really, i am not kidding. take some paper, probably roll around your hand 2 to 3 times and wipe your waste. now, throw that damn thing into the toilet. repeat the above step until you wipe all your waste. I will try to post some good youtube videos on this. remember not to throw too much of paper in the toilet, it will clog the toilet.

dont worry about using lot of paper initially. you will get a handle on this sooner. practice, practice and practice until you learn to wipe your mess

make sure you dont mess up your fingers and hands with your waste. this is why you need to take decent amount of paper to wipe it.

many asians tend to damp the toilet paper in the water flushing inside the toilet. that's nasty. that water is not clean. just forget the water. use the paper.

some guys use baby wipes after cleaning with toilet paper. that's overkill. it may spread baby wipe smell around you. if you feel that baby wipes makes you feel that you really cleaned it, go ahead and do it.

the truth is nothing cleans as good as water. Americans make fun of french people for their bidet habit. I think french people are smart. bidet cleans up genitals and butt properly.

Japanese use sophisticated bidet stuff. see the videos below.

Last edited by funlover; 23-12-13 at 11:52 AM. Reason: image urls
    Be Happy. Just Enjoy Your Life!

One more video on how to use toilet paper. Two layer should be enough. once you get practice on this, you need to remember not to keep on rubbing more paper on your butt. it will damage your skin over time and you will get rough patches over there. Before you leave India, take some toilet paper (it's available in most of the shops even in middle-tier cities of India), and practice wiping some grease in a vessel or a stain in dining table. it will be a good idea before you venture into cleaning your butt. just one more thing. if you dont clean properly, you will know instantly know from the people that give you dirty look. so go back to bathroom and clean one more time. If all fails, use a baby wipe after using toilet paper.

Thumbs up Informative...

Hi Funlover, Glad to see you after quite some time...and with a useful and educative thread...Sure, many of us do not know how to use a western toilet in the proper manner and in foreign countries too. This thread with the videos provides useful information. Thanks for sharing...

By the way, I am happy I am in India...

Quote Originally Posted by jayashree s kumar View Post
    By the way, I am happy I am in India...
    that's funny many Indians feel that way but don't say it loud because they want to blend in

It is a useful post after all it give some knowledge the people who doesn't know to use western toilet.

hi ..they make paper out of trees...cut more trees for flushing down the toilet paper too? water is any day better as in any case you use water to wash hands after the stuff cleaning. as jayashree says im happy im in india too..

cut more trees for flushing down the toilet paper too? water is any day better
    Even waste water (water used for bathing, cleaning vessels & washing clothes) can be recycled and reused for toilets.

U can posts even this on the Facebook also.

Default Flushable wipes in Costco

Kirkland recently released flushable wipes.

It's available in Costco stores. you can order it from costco and amazon as well. these wipes are moisturized. if you are disgusted by the thought of rubbing paper towel on your skin, try these wipes or buy lot of these wipes for your guests from India. They will love it. Use these wipes one at a time to clean yourself. Read the instructions in the box before using it.

just a thought. if you dont like your guests to come back, do not let them know about this possibility