Thread: King or Joker?

Question King or Joker?

Recently, while on a tour, I did some shopping. After few days, I saw those same products on a string of websites, sold about 4-5 times higher than the price which I had bought (and I was thinking I was being cheated!). That made me think, is consumer, esp virtual, are really king or joker?

I do understand the tricks of business and profit story and blah blah, as I myself work in one such domain (though not directly into selling/marketing), and the very company is in no way different. The procurement, storage cost, packing, shipping, virtual marketing-management, all inclusive does adds in burden which is quite understandable. But charging 4-5 times?? For each product, despite buying in bulk, and selling at such wide price difference?

And the funny thing is the business continues to remain all time high.. Though I have stopped making a virtual shopping, it does trigger question - is consumer really a King, or a joker in name of the king?

Hi D, Welcome back after a long hibernation. Hope to see you and your threads and posts more often...

Well, regarding the thread you have posted about your shopping experience, could you be more specific about the products you feel are 4 to 5 times higher online? This would sort of help us to be on the alert and also express any other member's experience...

Thanks for the welcome Jayashree, and I hope I am regular here too

Well, I wouldn't call these as cheaters in exact terms. Its the way they you do business. Like for example, a wooden handicraft, which i got at about 150-200 INR, was being put at 800 (or even more). I checked with some best deal and other e-commerce sites, where the price were almost same. I know, thats how they do the business.

What I wanted to caution is, its better to go out for a shopping on yourself rather than getting it from couch. Online shopping does offer comfort and all that, but then many just loots your money in name of comfort shopping. There are some products (like books) which can best be purchased online, but for home decor and other stuffs, avoiding reliance on virtual world is quite pocket friendly.

Enthusiast

I guess thats the way to do business. If you happen to see a handicraft in your way, may be a far farland for the consumers on Internet. Thats the point of Internet shopping . And for the point to explain the point , the transportation, storage charges are charged by the site to the consumers which the seller has to bear.
    So I guess its fair enough , whoever can afford can buy or leave it.