Thread: Shirdi trip

Post Shirdi trip

Shirdi is among one of the most visited place in India. It is located in Maharashtra state and is about 296 km from Mumbai. It is famous for the shrine of Sai Baba. Sai Baba was a great saint, yogi and fakir. People believe that Baba has assured that whoever will put their feet on the soil of Shirdi their sufferings will come to an end. It is in this holy soil of Shirdi that Sai Baba preached tolerance towards all religion and spread the message of universal brotherhood.
    How to get there:-
    By Air- Nearest airport is in Aurangabad
    By Rail- Nearest station her Kopargaon and Manmad.
    By Road - It is well connected by road to major cities and is the most preffered way of visiting shirdi.
    Where to stay:- Shirdi has many good hotels in reasonable rates.
    One can also stay in Rooms (AC and Non AC) and dormitoray of Sai Baba Trust which are available in affordable rates. The non AC room is Rs 500 and AC room is Rs 900 per day. Three to five people can stay in a room. Tea, milk and food are also available here in nominal rates.
    We visited Shirdi twice. First time we stayed in a hotel but second time in New Bhakta Niwas of Sai Baba Trust.
    The temple premises of Shirdi Sai Baba are about 200 sq meters. It is well equipped with Donation counter, Prasad counters, Udi counter etc. It also has facilities like drinking water, shoe stand, toilets. As camera and mobiles are not allowed here are counters to keep the same. There is also railway reservation counter inside the temple. It is a well managed temple. In Sunday and festivals the queue is very long. We went there on Samadhi day and all the people were offered Frooti to quench our thirst by the Trust.
    Nearby place to see-
    Sani Singhnapur- It is located about 70kms from Shirdi. When we reached there our driver told us to notice the entrance of all hoses and shops. We were shocked to see none of them had a door, but only a door frame. He told us no theft occurs here as it is believed that lord Shani punishes those who do such things. Here the presiding deity is shani Dev. The black stone which is worshiped is about five and a half feet high is believed to be appeared on its own and is not made by anyone. The Syayambhu Shani Maharaj stone has no roof over it. Here women are not allowed to pour oil on Shani Dev and their male relative can pour oil.
    One of the very sacred place Triambekeswar is about 115 km from Shirdi. It is believed that whoever will visit Triambekewar attains salvation. It is famous for one of the 12 Jyotirlinga and is called Triambakeswar. Another feature of this temple is that the Jyotirlinga has three faces embodying Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. This temple lies in the foothill of the mountain Brahmagiri which is the source of the holy river Godavari(Gautami). The temple is made up of Black stones. This place is also famous for the Simhasta Kumbha Mela which comes after every 12 years.
    Panchwati has Godavari Ghat and many temples like Kalaram temple, Gora Ram Temple and Sita Gumpha.
    Godavari Ghat is the Confluence of river Godavari, Aruna and Varuna. We did sandhya arti here by floating diya in the water of river Godavari.
    Kalaram Temple is a big captivating temple made with black stones. The deities (Ram, Laxman and Sita) are also made up black stone hence the temple is named so. Kala Ram means Black Ram.
    Gora Ram Temple is in the same lane but smaller in size and as the idols are fair in colour hence named Gora Ram.
    Sita Gumpha - Near the Gora Ram Temple is Sita Gumpha. Gumpha means cave. It is believed that Goddess Sita was abducted by Ravan from here. There is proper lighting inside the cave. There are also some steps but one has to crawl to get inside it. It also has Shiva Linga which the Goddess Sita used to worship. The queue is also long. Elderly and very fat people are not advised to go inside. Just opposite side of Sita Gumpha is a museum depicting the story of Lord Ram.
    It was trip we enjoyed emensely.
    Last edited by sanchita; 06-01-14 at 02:01 PM.

What an amzing coinicdience this is!
    Recently, on last sunday, I visited the Shirdi too.
    Reason? I wanted to test and ride my new bike. .
    It was a bike ride with having my friend sitting on backseat. It was good, we left from nashik at 3pm and came back at around 9:30pm.

The que line of the shirdi temple are very long, it took very boring 2 hours to reach to the main idol.

Though there is something you should take a note about:
    The hightways connecting shirdi from mumbai side are VERY dark at night void of roadside lamps. It is better to have a strong headlight, else don't go riding on 2wheeler. It is a plain risk. Also, those roads are famouse for the robbers at night. So late night riding on 2wheeler is no option.

Thanks MmosT, for posting this important information about Shirdi.
    You will find long queue in every famous temple of India. So devotees are prepared for it.
    In Shirdi Sai temple, generally it takes 1.5-2 hrs. On auspicious days, sometimes it can take 3-4 hrs. On other days if you are lucky you can have darshan even in 45 minutes.
    If you don't have that much time, you can collect VIP passes by paying some money and can have darshan in a few minutes.
    However, I cannot comment about the road as I was sleeping and couldnot notice it. To be on the safer side, I will suggest people to take public transport and avoid taking personal vehicle.

I mean no offence absolutely and I am already sorry if I have posted anything wrong, and dear sanchita, I am certainly not pointing you out. Just this thought come in my mind.
    Yeah, I find this highly annoying when there are things like "VIP Pass" and such. If one wants to visit a temple, and if everybody is equal in god's palace, why do the local Brahmin's implement such foul schemes?
    Favouring rich, earning money themselves, making a business of people's belief and devotion.
    It is not bad to have long ques, it is bad to have "VIP Passes" at least according to me.

No need to be sorry Mmost. I was not at all annoyed. It’s normal; anyone will lose patience standing in a long queue.
    But as I have been to some temples like Tirupati where it takes 4-5 hrs, I found the time for darshan in Shirdi comparatively less. That’s why I didn't write about it.
    Thanks for pointing it out so that those people who have never been to Shirdi will plan their trip accordingly.
    I have also never taken V.I.P passes, but those people who are in a hurry can avail these kind of facilities.