Thread: Chennai Express - Hindi Movie Review

Default Chennai Express - Hindi Movie Review

For a change, I am entering Bollywoods. I mean "Bollywood Movie Reviews" of DigitalBhoomi.

Chennai Express is a movie about two individuals who gets to cross each others life in a train journey, which decides their future fate.

Rahul Mithaiwala (Sharukh Khan) is a 40 year old bachelor, living with his grandparents in Mumbai, helping his granddad to run his sweet business. His parents died in an accident when he was 8 years old. His granddad dies on his 100th Birthday and his grandma informs Rahul about his granddad's wish that his ashes should be divided into two halves, one to be dissolved in Ganges and rest in Rameshwaram, a holy place in Tamilnadu. She asks Rahul to travel to Rameshwaram, to fulfill the final wish of his granddad.

Rahul who has no such sentiments, plans to go to Goa with his friends. But when his grandma insisted to join him to the railway station to send off, he couldn't refuse it. So, he makes a plan with his friends, that he will buy a ticket in Chennai Express, a train to Tamilnadu and climb into it before his grandma's eyes. But later planned to get off in the next station to join his friends, who will wait for him outside the station, with a car to travel to Goa.

Everything goes well, until he reaches the station to get off and join friends. But when he realizes that he forgot his granddad's ash in the train, he rushes to collect that pot from the moving train. After getting the pot, he tries to get off the moving train, but sees a beautiful girl (Deepika Padukone) running to catch and get into the train he is. He helps her to climb in and before he goes off, he sees few more persons running to catch the train and helps all. Finally when he tries to step out, he realizes that it was too late, as the platform below have disappeared long before. Irritated, he pick ups fight with the people who he helped to get inside the train, but then finds the truth that they were gundas, who were chasing that girl, whose name is Meenalochni.

With no other choice, he sits in the train, and finds all funny ways to impress the girl, giving the viewers good laugh. To avoid the gundas attention, he and Meena sing the dialogues they want to share with each other. He learns that she ran away from her home to avoid her marriage with a person whom she does not like. When he tries to help her by lending mobile phone, the gundas find and threw his phone outside, which makes him out of contact with everyone. Throughout the journey, he tries to escape from the gang, but get caught. Later the gang stops the train in their village and makes him also to join them. To save him, Meena introduces him as her boyfriend to her father and her father invites him to their home.

Rest of the movie keeps moving with funny sequences like how he tries to escape from that village, but get caught again and again, and how he makes a kidnapping drama of Meena, to escape the hands of the gundas. On their journey together, they start liking each other, and finally ends with a fight against the villain running behind Meena to marry her, and Rahul winning her.

The movie surely has few flaws.

1. Deepika is shown as a Tamil Hindu girl. He calls her father "Abba" throughout the movie. Nope, we don't have such a word to address father. It is "Appa". Even Tamil Muslims call their father "Vaappaa" and "Abba" is surely something to smell Hindi. Could have given a bit attention.

2. Deepika wears toooooooo colorful dresses throughout the movie. Man, we do dress up sometimes like that, for some occasions in Tamilnadu, but not on every damn day.

3. I can understand that Deepika though a Tamil girl, speaks in Hindi with Sharukh (which is another unbelievable thing, as no village girl in Tamilnadu can speak hindi so clearly, unless she studied or lived outside her place. Because TN is the only state in whole of India, where Hindi is not taught in schools), as he cannot understand Tamil. But will she even dream to sing songs in Hindi?

Also, would like to clear some misconceptions, which few of my friends have got watching this movie.

1. An imaginary village was shown, where people take good care of this couples. Thinking them as married couples, the villagers ask them to fulfill a tradition of theirs, which is the husband needs to carry the wife to the temple in the top of the mountain. They believe that, by doing so, the couples will live together forever, not only in this birth, but in all births. One of my friend believed this and called me to confirm and ask where this village is located. No viewers, no such place exists to my knowledge. And damn sure, such tradition will not lead to "Happily ever after", instead to divorce from the frustrated husband. So, just enjoy the movie sequence and don't believe everything shown.

2. Few villages may have group-ism, but trust me, we don't have a village like shown in this movie, where trains can be stopped, and every single person works like slave to the leader.

3. Most of the places shown are Kerala (but claimed to be Tamilnadu) in the movie. So, please don't call your TN friends to check for details of the location to plan your next trip.

But saying so, I will not rate the movie bad. Viewers are given with good dose of laugh. Sharukh did a good job of playing a under well character, instead of showing muscle power or unbelievable heroism. Deepika did her job best.

My Verdict is, "Forgot logic. It is worth to watch to have a good laugh"

Great review i really liked the movie

Because TN is the only state in whole of India, where Hindi is not taught in schools
    Meetu, You are wrong. Hindi is taught in schools as second or third language in English Medium schools. I studied Hindi from 1st Standard till my B. A. We had an option of taking Tamil or Hindi as second language which was compulsory. In College, French was an additional option. Even my son had to study Hindi and Sanskrit as two additional languages apart from Tamil which was his second language. In plus 1 and 2, he took French instead of Tamil.

Quote Originally Posted by jayashree s kumar View Post
    Meetu, You are wrong. Hindi is taught in schools as second or third language in English Medium schools. I studied Hindi from 1st Standard till my B. A. We had an option of taking Tamil or Hindi as second language which was compulsory. In College, French was an additional option. Even my son had to study Hindi and Sanskrit as two additional languages apart from Tamil which was his second language. In plus 1 and 2, he took French instead of Tamil.
    No chellama. It is not common in state medium schools. It is taught only in central boards, matriculations and private English schools, which are less in majority. I studied in matriculation till 5th std and learned Hindi, as well as Tamil. But later studied in state English medium, where no Hindi taught and no choice given.

Yaah good movie I also like it, best acting by "SRK" and "Deepika"
    Specially, the rythming which was made on songs and advertisements was too good and songs were also fabulous and the direction of "Rohit Setthy" was awesome.
    "On the whole it was full entertaining movie."