Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 Ways to Happiness !!!

Smile 19 Ways to Happiness !!!

So, yesterday the kids weren't perfect, if you can believe it. They whined everytime I asked them to do anything. They fought with each other. They cried a lot, and seemed to fall down an unusually large amount of times. The two-year old, who is getting potty trained, didn't do that great. All in all, I was glad when the day was over, and they were all finally asleep. As I sat exhausted on the couch, wondering how I could possibly make it through another day, I remembered this list I'd found in a magazine, oh so many years ago. I don't remember what magazine, but I was impressed enough to write the list down and keep it all these years.

So for your excitement and pleasure (and hopefully your path to happiness) we now have our first installment of "19 Ways to Happiness".

Tip #1: Smile

Yep, that's it, just smile. Fake it til you make it. I've heard about this in a few different places, but the idea is to plaster that smile on your face, and keep it there until you feel like it belongs. I know you think this sounds crazy, but it really works. Not only does it make you feel better than that perpetual frown you've acquired since having kids, but it makes everybody else feel better too. People see you smiling, and they smile back. Then you smile a little bigger, and your happiness becomes a little more genuine. Your kids see you smiling, and they get that happy little feeling in their tummy that you get when you feel approved of. And isn't there a t-shirt somewhere that says "Smile, it will make people wonder what you're up to". So true, so true.

So start increasing your happiness today. Smile, and the world smiles with you, or something like that.

Please do check for more tips...
    Last edited by arul; 06-10-08 at 03:51 PM.

Yup, smiling people attract success and good luck. A smiling face stands out in the croud of usual angry and sad young man.

Smile

its a good initiative..nice idea man...
    we can practice each ideas n tips at least for one whole week..
    and the next aftr dat,.... keep it going..
    all the best and thanx 4 the information...
    i started smiling from this moment onwards...
    waiting for 18 more tips...

Tip #2: Smile

Tip number two in our journey to happiness is "Pretend to be Happy".

That is kind of the same as smiling when you don't feel like it, but I think it goes a step further. Sometimes when you pretend something, it becomes real. If only that would work withSanta Claus. I could really use a few things from the jolly old elf. But wishing aside, pretending to be happy is only a little bit short of feeling that real spark of happiness.

Pretending to be happy will most likely require that happy thought we talked about earlier. Have you ever heard of that phenomenon where what you think about is what will happen? This is kind of like that. You may have noticed that when you are depressed, you can only recall all the other times that you felt bad. When you twist your ankle, you immediately recall all the other times you were in pain. Well, that works the other way, too. When you are having a good time with your kids, you tend to remember how much fun they are and all the other good times you've had instead of how much they bug you when they are all standing in the kitchen begging for food, at the same time, at the same very loud decibel level.

If you have a hard time finding a happy thought, make one right now. Call someone you know and tell them that you love them. Make that your happy thought. Look out the window and try to see something beautiful. Make that your happy thought. Read some happy quotes, write one down, and stick it to your computer. Make that your happy thought.

"Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it."

So, pretending to be happy has some serious potential. Try it and see. Put something real behind that smile, and see how many more smiles you can create.

Wait for more updates... Keep Smiling

wonderful.... good thought to keep someone happy.. yes happiness is very abstract , need to be felt.

Happiness Tip # 3 is: Stand up straight.

This tip is one that you may not have thought of. I know I never thought it had much to do with being happy. What does posture have to do with emotional well being? I was skeptical until I tried it.

Here's an experiment. Hunch your shoulders, slump down in your chair, and sit like you usually do. How do you feel? Tired, lazy, and sloppy. Now stand up keeping your shoulders hunched, and let your body be loose. Walk around, noticing how heavy and slow your body feels.

Okay? Now try moving your shoulders up (not too much, or you'll just be uncomfortable), lift your hips, align your head and neck, and walk around. Amazing! I totally felt energized when I tried it. It opened up my whole body and I felt like I could breathe deeper and smile bigger.

I don't know about you, but I feel about twice as self confident, and a lot better about how I look when I stand up straight. I feel like I'm ready to look the world in the eyes and say, "Hey, I'm great."

Your posture has a lot to do with how other people see you. When you see someone plodding down the street, their whole body jerking and rolling along with their eyes on the ground, you don't get the same sense as when you see someone strolling confidently, their head up, eyes open, body moving gracefully and smoothly. It's not as hard as it looks. For a few days you will have to concentrate and remind yourself, but soon it becomes habit, and you'll find your shoulders and back aching a lot less, and that's got to make you happier right there.

Having good posture also sets an example for your kids. Next time you go out where there are a lot of families, take a moment to notice how people walk. First look at the mother, then look at her daughters. They will walk almost exactly the same way. If the parent walks with confidence, so will the child. It's true. If you are happy, so are your kids.

Hope u started smiling...

Happiness tip # 4 is: Think like an optimist.

You, know attitude really is everything. I like to sing a little song sometimes and it goes like this: "Always look on the bright side of life. Always look on the light side of life." It makes me laugh because the two times I've heard it were in funny movies, The Life of Brian(Monte Python), and As Good as it Gets. So when things look bad, after I've wallowed around in self pity for a few days, I sing this little song, and I try to find the bright side of things. Let me give a few examples.

Problem: I'm down to my last fifty-three cents (literally).

Bright side: I still have enough to buy one of those Lindt mint truffles at Smith's if I get really desperate for chocolate.

Problem: The baby still won't sleep through the night.

Bright side: I get to have that extra glass of water that I missed during the day to make it an even 64oz, and since I'm up, I might as well use the toilet.

Problem: The sprinkling system broke.

Bright side: The kids get a free science project, and learn exactly how long it takes for the lawn to die without water.

Problem: I cannot handle one more moment of messiness.

Solution: It's interesting to see how fast children can clean when they are motivated by a trip to McDonalds.

So do you see how that works? It really makes life problem free, because everything you thought was a problem is actually a blessing in disguise. You just have to think like an optimist.

Have a Nice Day !!!

Default 19 Ways to Happiness !!!

You have now been smiling your face off for the past week. How does it feel? Is it working? If you are not getting smiles in return, only strange looks, then you might need to look in the mirror. Does that fake smile look a little, well, scary? Try to think a happy thought, you know, just like Peter Pan. Now don't think of how Peter grew up and got old and saggy and had kids and got angry. Don't go there. Just think your happy thought and look at your smile now. Yay! You look happy.

Tip number two in our journey to happiness is "Pretend to be Happy".

That is kind of the same as smiling when you don't feel like it, but I think it goes a step further. Sometimes when you pretend something, it becomes real. If only that would work withSanta Claus. I could really use a few things from the jolly old elf. But wishing aside, pretending to be happy is only a little bit short of feeling that real spark of happiness.

Pretending to be happy will most likely require that happy thought we talked about earlier. Have you ever heard of that phenomenon where what you think about is what will happen? This is kind of like that. You may have noticed that when you are depressed, you can only recall all the other times that you felt bad. When you twist your ankle, you immediately recall all the other times you were in pain. Well, that works the other way, too. When you are having a good time with your kids, you tend to remember how much fun they are and all the other good times you've had instead of how much they bug you when they are all standing in the kitchen begging for food, at the same time, at the same very loud decibel level.

If you have a hard time finding a happy thought, make one right now. Call someone you know and tell them that you love them. Make that your happy thought. Look out the window and try to see something beautiful. Make that your happy thought. Read some happy quotes, write one down, and stick it to your computer. Make that your happy thought.

"Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it."

So, pretending to be happy has some serious potential. Try it and see. Put something real behind that smile, and see how many more smiles you can create.

We are living in world amidst so much of unlucky people, poverty, violence, stress, competition, and all sorts of sadness inducing environment you can think of. So it is only natural that a part of our mind always tends to carry a tinge of sadness or lean towards this negative emotion. This is something happening so natural that one may have to fight his/her way out of this influence in order to develop a happy frame of mind. This article throws light over 5 easy or top ways to happiness or to be happy. After going through the text below, it is for the reader to decide how effective it is going to be in your own life. So, here we go!

• First of all, the attitude is important. That is, you must be mentally ready to strive for happiness as much as possible, irrespective of what is happening in your life daily. So, before going to bed today, take few minutes to reach a resolution that you are going to be happy to the best extent possible from tomorrow onwards and repeat the vow daily. Once it becomes a habit, your mind automatically tunes itself to tread the happier line.

• A hearty smile is the best symptom of a happy mind. It not only makes you feel better but also sets the tone for the rest of the day, as others also will feel welcomed to come and talk to you. So, learn to smile at will.

• An idle mind is devil’s workshop. Hence, always make it a point to be in the company of your friends or involve yourself in some activities that keeps you engaged. Don’t let your mind wander idle.

• Be happy at what you are, even if you are ambitious. Ambition must be the drive to achieve something, and not a handle for disappointment, especially in case if you are not reaching your targets quickly. Misses and losses can happen in anybody’s life. In such moments when you might be feeling low, take few minutes to write down the things you have or you are proud of and not many others have the luck to own. Once you do that, things will start to calm down and you will start to feel better.

• Always look for the silver lining at the moment of despair. Make it a habit to view the positives over negatives and hope for the best. Heard of the adage ‘hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible’?

To sum it up, in order to be happy, the effort must start right from one's own heart.
    So, next morning, when you get up, make sure that there is a broad smile originating on your lips, and a strong resolve in your heart to seek happiness always, as much as possible. Very soon you’ll realize that how substantially this little change of character is going to transform your life!

Happiness tip #5 is "Never say try".

Have you ever noticed that whenever you tell someone that you'll try to do it, you really mean, I'll think about it, and I may even make a few half-hearted attempts, but I don't really think that I want to do it, I just want to get you off my back? That's a lot of thinking that goes on behind those two words.

Why is this a happiness tip? When you say "I'll try", you are really saying in essence, "I'll fail". And who wants to fail? Failure generally leads to the opposite of happiness- depression. Saying try keeps your brain sluggish and weary. Saying "I'll do it" immediately starts your brain working on ways for you to accomplish the task at hand.

Kids learn from us, obviously, and they watch us ever so close. They pick up on subtle nuances in our conversations. Last week my six year old said to my mom, "Nana, you always have to add something." And it's true. My mom is the queen of the first and last word, in everyone's conversation (love you mom). What I'm saying here, is kids will notice if you're saying you are trying and failing a lot, and they'll figure that's how it's supposed to be. If they see you doing and succeeding, they'll have a much better chance at success in their own life.

It is also important for our children to see us fail, and see that it's ok, and that no one is perfect. But we should be teaching them (and us) not to set ourselves up for failure from the get go, by not really committing. That's what never say try is all about. Making a committment and sticking to it.
    Like Nike says, Just Do It. Be Happy !!!