Thread: Are we actualy learning when we learn?

New Member soumyaannapurna@gmail.com's Avatar

Post Are we actualy learning when we learn?

I have been a student for the last sixteen years. Through out my school life, then at inter college level and now at graduation level. I feel the definition of education has evolved a lot during this period of time. Education is no more seen as a progressive discovery of ignorance as rightly quoted by Will Durant. Rather we profess ourselves to know the world for a fairly good percentage. This is the attitude which goes with current generation. Well, not only with the students but also most of the parents of this generation. How do you judge a person by the grade he gets? Success is measured not much by the position one has achieved but by the obstacles one has faced to reach that position. Give this quote a thought. You will start respecting a person for what he is rather for rank he holds. Then why force yourself to see great grades and call it "apart of surviving in the competition". Rather the student should be taught a proper attitude which will ensure that he stands out the rest. It should be taken care that the student understands that he is supposed to read not for marks but for the concepts. He should not do it for not for the favor of him parents but with fervor for the scientists and mathematicians who have spent years to discover and invent things. Tell him-When you feel you have understood everything when you have read, you have just gained some information. Instead if you get a "something is missing" feel, it is then when your actual learning process has started. Restricting yourself to a few books that you come have come across cannot be termed as learning. Rather one should take the pain of finding the hidden treasure. As far as my experience goes, it is not only the ultimate destiny that gives you satisfaction but there are many small interesting things that titillate you. It is the attitude that matters when in comes to learning. The other very important aspect of learning is implementing what you have learnt. Remembering a few English words for the sake of an examination is far different from using them in you daily talk. Such small deeds will develop a leader with in you. You will unpretentiously be followed. You will have people applauding you. The most important of all, you will be happy for what you are. This is an awesome experience which is not worth giving a miss. So for those who are feeling sad and depressed for figures that are not appealing, change you attitude. I promise you it works wonders. At the end of the day, be happy with what you are not satisfied with what you are. This is because "life is an ocean but we know only a drop of it".

Dear Soumya,

Good post. Sure it will make others to think.

I believe "Attitude results in altitude".

No matter , how many PhDs one get, if he is bad at attitude, he would surely meet difficult times.

Sowmya, great post. timing is perfect esp in the eve of board exams coming in few weeks.

Blog Entries

most of the teachers are very rude, they come to school just to get their pay check. where is the passion among teachers? students will learn only when teachers are passionate abt what they teach.

Thought provoking one, Soumya! I would like to reiterate what you said, but in a few words.

" Pretense is the greatest folly of mankind"

The above saying is a recent saying of mine. I actually came up with this when I was listening to a lecture on mobile communication

Smile First Post of a new member- an introduction.

I would like you all to see this post, and admire the way this new member introduction has invited comments and replies. I must say this is a great way to start. Welcome Soumya!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have been a student for the last sixteen years. Through out my school life, then at inter college level and now at graduation level. I feel the definition of education has evolved a lot during this period of time. Education is no more seen as a progressive discovery of ignorance as rightly quoted by Will Durant. Rather we profess ourselves to know the world for a fairly good percentage. This is the attitude which goes with current generation. Well, not only with the students but also most of the parents of this generation. How do you judge a person by the grade he gets? Success is measured not much by the position one has achieved but by the obstacles one has faced to reach that position. Give this quote a thought. You will start respecting a person for what he is rather for rank he holds. Then why force yourself to see great grades and call it "apart of surviving in the competition". Rather the student should be taught a proper attitude which will ensure that he stands out the rest. It should be taken care that the student understands that he is supposed to read not for marks but for the concepts. He should not do it for not for the favor of him parents but with fervor for the scientists and mathematicians who have spent years to discover and invent things. Tell him-When you feel you have understood everything when you have read, you have just gained some information. Instead if you get a "something is missing" feel, it is then when your actual learning process has started. Restricting yourself to a few books that you come have come across cannot be termed as learning. Rather one should take the pain of finding the hidden treasure. As far as my experience goes, it is not only the ultimate destiny that gives you satisfaction but there are many small interesting things that titillate you. It is the attitude that matters when in comes to learning. The other very important aspect of learning is implementing what you have learnt. Remembering a few English words for the sake of an examination is far different from using them in you daily talk. Such small deeds will develop a leader with in you. You will unpretentiously be followed. You will have people applauding you. The most important of all, you will be happy for what you are. This is an awesome experience which is not worth giving a miss. So for those who are feeling sad and depressed for figures that are not appealing, change you attitude. I promise you it works wonders. At the end of the day, be happy with what you are not satisfied with what you are. This is because "life is an ocean but we know only a drop of it".

Default Education

Nice post, very well said that “It should be taken care that the student understands that he is supposed to read not for marks but for the concepts.” Nowadays this concept of understanding is completely lost. Be it students, parents and everyone around is only bothered about marks and securing higher percentage. Whether the student has actually gained knowledge or not that is least considered. This concept should change and we should strive to gain knowledge rather than only gathering bookish facts for sake of higher percentage.

Different people have different opinion about learning process. Many people like todays learning process but some dont like. Not all teachers are good but not all teachers are bad. It is also depend upon student. If student is hardworking then he or she can learn everything no matter how teacher is. Just try to learn everything without the help of teacher. Internet is solution for every thing.