Thread: English Everywhere?

pommalu

Question English Everywhere?

scenario: you walk in the street in chennai. ask a question in tamil. the guy will answer in English. there is some kind of pride in talking in english although they know tamil very well too.

does it happen only in chennai? what about your cities? i am talking mainly about metro cities. do the people look down at you if you speak local language instead of english?

why people are reluctant to talk in their local language (tamil, telugu, hindi, etc) even when the question is asked in that language. what is the big deal about speaking in english?

there is another "peter thing" going on in many places. the guys and girls love to talk in american accent even if they have no idea what it is. why twist the tongue and torture other people too to create artificial accent?

I dont hate english. but when one person asks a question in another language, it's basic decency to answer in the same language if you know that language. what do u think?

english is known to be the language of world.so i don't think there is any harm in answering in the same language(english).

Language is a medium to convey yourself to the other person... The Indian politicians used it as one more weapon to divide and rule people, in the name of "Language Patriotism"....

Yes, we need to understand the richness & tradition of language and cherrish it... But it should not stand in the way of your improvement.

In India (esp in non-english medium schools), if a student speaks in English, other students rag shouting "peter"... By this they discourage the one who tries.... the final output is realized while sitting before an interviewer... Though you know answers very well, you will find it difficult to reply him...

I'm from Tamilnadu, where Hindi is banned by rulers (though their kids learn it)... I know the pain of not knowing Hindi, when I stepped out of my state for job, as it was spoken largely in other states, next to their local language...

Attachment to own language is required 100%.... But it should not be in such a way that it stops your growth

The answer to your question is YES. Yes, English is becoming the kind of a craze these days. The local schools, which are starting new ones too give education in English. The local schools which till now taught in local languages, are now slowly shifting their base to English. But let me tell something very interesting about languages. The most widely spoken language, though, is not English. English is a language widely understood in the whole world. But the most spoken language is Chinese. I am not too sure for the stats but, around 300 million or billion people speak Chinese on this earth. And after that comes the English language. It stands at around 100 million or billion. I may be wrong with the stats, but that's it.

Cool english the language of status

Quote Originally Posted by abhi_bangal View Post
    The answer to your question is YES. Yes, English is becoming the kind of a craze these days. The local schools, which are starting new ones too give education in English. The local schools which till now taught in local languages, are now slowly shifting their base to English. But let me tell something very interesting about languages. The most widely spoken language, though, is not English. English is a language widely understood in the whole world. But the most spoken language is Chinese. I am not too sure for the stats but, around 300 million or billion people speak Chinese on this earth. And after that comes the English language. It stands at around 100 million or billion. I may be wrong with the stats, but that's it.
    Be sure about wat u said.... the most widely spoken language in the world is mandarin which is a chineese tribe language.........it's believable bcoz china has a population of around 130 crores........the total population of all europe is not nearing it...........english usage in public has become a status symbol in our country.........speaking in their mother tounge for many is too humiliating........we must respect each and every language.....every language...has its own essence.........rather english being a universal language and also the language of this generation we are bound to know and use the language...........this is the time of globalization.........we couldn't resist the change in attitude of the people.........just keep on running with the world........or else u'll be thrown out the race.........

Indeed speaking english means status symbol. Now a days most of the people they speak in english with their pets and dogs.... also with the kids..

What a "Pete's Sake" for this thing happened in Chennai. English should be the secondary language to local, unless both parties in need the process of leaning English - Unproficiency.
    FOR VISITOR$ TO JOIN THIS FORUM CLICK HERE
    Prosperity sharing with our lovely Digital Bhoomi (DB)
    Follow DB-Twitter Follow DB-YouTube Follow DB-Facebook

Hello Pommalu

I think, it is upto one's opinion, to speak the language, they want.

We can love any language, because God has given so many wonderful tongues.

But one should understand, giving importance to other language over mother tongue unnecessarily, is like insulting his own identity.
    For instance, giving your example, if one asks in Tamil , the other can answer in Tamil (Ofcourse, being in Chennai, he would have known it atleast to say, "Enakku tamil teriyadhu"). That is the basic decency one can show.
    Here, am talking about only informal situations.
    If one wants to improve his English, she/he can converse with her/his friends or relatives.But, it should not be the show-off to strangers.